Sunday, December 4, 2016

Costco

I took Dylan and Desi to Costco the other day and as we were checking out the cashier tried making small talk with them.  Dylan just turned away and the lady was like, "Well Ok."  You could tell she thought he was being a little rude because obviously he is old enough to make conversation.  My mind raced because I didn't want her thinking he is a rude little boy, because he is not, but I didn't want to make her feel dumb either.  I spoke up and said, "he doesn't talk."

She was like, "Oh, he really doesn't" (but she was sincere about it) so I said, "Yes, he is Autistic and nonverbal, but oh how we would love to hear his sweet voice."  I told her I didn't want her thinking he was being a rude little kid, but that is why he didn't respond.  She was very sincere and I don't think I made her feel bad so I think my job was done.

I figured this day would come because when they are little and don't respond it is no big deal, but now that he is obviously older and should at least respond with eye contact then people will notice more.  I love that this was a positive experience and hopefully they continue this way for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment