I was a little nervous to meet with Sherry for Dylan's Parent Teacher Conference this time because I had just told her about pulling Dylan out and putting him in Utah Autism Academy, as long as everything went as planned with insurance and being accepted. I told her on the day (1/4) that he had his evaluation when I took him back to school. She was busy with kids as I talked to her, but she seemed bugged by what I was telling her, but also wanting me to make sure he did not go somewhere where Discrete Trial was not an option because she has seen good things with him. I left that day feeling a little sad by her reaction, but at the same time I knew it was a reaction of shock, love and concern.
When I went to Parent Teacher Conference she asked me a bit about it and then said she is on board with my decision and feels that I am making the right decision and one she would also make if she was in my position! She said that she told one of the Aides after our conversation and that Aide went home and looked up UAA and saw that they do Discrete Trial, so that made them feel comfortable with my decision. That started the meeting out on a good note! She said that we have had 2 Summers now where we have seen the regression and so it is obvious that he will benefit from having full time help throughout Summertime. That is my main reason for jumping on this opportunity and not delaying it. I just needed her approval because she knows my son and I know they have had to grown quite an attachment these past 2 years. I have loved him being there and know that is where he needed to be and will never be able to repay her for the work she has put in to Dylan. I am really quite sad to be pulling him out of her class but I know this is where he needs to be going at this time, so it is a rather bittersweet time for us.
Sherry said that Dylan has back to where he was at the end of the school year last year and is starting to really progress. His social interaction is improving immensely! She told a story of having Dylan and another boy sitting by each other on a chair. She sat across from them and threw a ball to the other boy. Dylan reached over to grab it. She threw it back to the other boy. Dylan slumped over in his chair to show his disappointment that he wasn't getting the ball. When she called out his name to throw him the ball, he shot up in excitement! She said that is a huge improvement from when he began because he would just throw the ball in another direction and go about his business.
They are starting to hear a lot of different sounds and more on command. For example, vowels. They will ask him to say, "E" He will say it but usually has a consonant attached. He still does not care much for writing and she said that is something they need to find something to create excitement for him because he just isn't liking it.
I got the call the following day that insurance has approved Dylan's treatment plan. They said we could start school at Utah Autism Academy on Monday, but I asked to wait a week, so that Dylan can get his goodbyes in, or at least give the opportunity for the teachers to tell him goodbye. I would hate just pulling him out of there without some type of closure because he has been there for 2 years and Sherry and Loni have been there the whole time. Those two and the other aides will always have a special place in my heart, because they have worked so hard to get Dylan to where he is. I will give them credit forever and hope that he can continue on from what they have taught him and go further! So beginning on January 23, Dylan's next journey begins!
No comments:
Post a Comment