Thursday, February 25, 2016

Progressing(years behind)!

It's been a bit since I wrote anything, but there hasn't been much to document but then again there has.  Day to day I wouldn't say I see a big change but then if I  think back I see things.  He seems to be trying so much harder to get some words out and we are starting to hear things, not consistently but consistently trying!  He was with Rick and Lori one day and came back repeating the word "green" for Rick.  When you tell him to say "eat" he smiles and says "EEEEE" but he definitely knows what that means!  I was blowing bubbles with him the other day and asked if he wanted more bubbles.  He responded by saying, "Bubba Mo" and signing more.  He also seems to be signing "more" a lot more often. Brielle has asked him if he wants something and then tells him to say "Please" and he has said "Pee."   Rick came and got Dylan since he was up this way and took him home to go swim in the hot tub.  When they got into Nephi they stopped at Lori's work to show who he brought home.  Dylan wanted Lori to get him out of the truck but when she asked if he was going to go swimming, he said "yeah." So it's coming, slowly but surely.

My parents stopped by the other day and when they went to leave I told him to tell them "bye."  Instead of his normal open and close hand wave, he actually did the full on wave moving the wrist back and forth wave.  That was a first and I have seen him do it more since then.  Like the other day the fence company came to fix our fence that broke due to the wind and as I was talking to them he ran over to the door.  I think he wanted me to come get him some food, so he started waving.  The guy started interacting with him and waving back and then asked Dylan for  a high five.  Dylan gave him five.  I wanted to jump for joy seeing this interaction and thank the guy at the door, but then he would have thought I was crazy ha ha.  To see Dylan actually interacting with a stranger in that way was awesome!

I was thinking last night about things people have mentioned on the Facebook group and they think they go back to where they regressed and progress from there.  I have never really given any thought to it, until the "wave" hit me.  If you think about it, when most babies begin waving they start with the opening and closing of the hand like Dylan was doing.  Then it progresses to the actual wave which for the past few days has been the case, so I think we are safe to say that is his "new wave."  So if you go on this theory then yes in this particular motion(the wave) he is at a, we'll just say 1 year old level, but he is progressing on.  Then that leads you to realize that the language is also progressing past the "1 year" level and he is trying to piece those sounds together.  So if this is what I am thinking we are actually starting to see some progress!  It may be a few years behind from where he should be, but PROGRESS is a word I love hearing!

An hour after I wrote this post I got a call from Dylan's teacher.  1. because he was being a little sad/fussy/crying they just aren't sure if he is not feeling good or having a bad day.  Since he can't tell them it is the guessing game and they have tried a few things, so wanted to know what I want them to do.  Watch him longer or have me pick him up.  At the end of the call he was seeming ok and Boston gets out of school in 30 minutes so they are going to watch him and call me at that time to decide if I come grab him or he stays in school. 2. Because they are AMAZED at his progress in the past month or so of his understanding!  She said he has made quite the jump in this area and they can not believe the progress!  She said they have been working on pictures and asking him to give them a certain object and he is pretty accurate when they do this.  AMAZING! She wanted to know if we have noticed this as well?  I have always thought his understanding is pretty good but it is a matter of "if" he wants to do what you ask him.  I think our opinions differ from each other in this area, but for her to notice a change then obviously it is something to be excited about!

I mentioned we feel he is trying to talk more and she agreed with that, that they are hearing more and more but like I said not consistently.  She wonders if he may have a "processing disorder"(she made sure to let me know just a thought but not saying he has it) but if he does she said she has read that it could take thousands of times of doing one thing where for the "typical" person it may take a few times,  for it to click, so to speak.  Have I mentioned before how much I love this school and the teachers!  They really are the ones working their butt off for my little guy and their hard work is paying off!

No comments:

Post a Comment