Christmas has come and gone and we are almost to a new year! I decided since this would be the longest break and would have Dylan home for 2 weeks that I would attempt potty training! Potty Training in itself is not the best time as a parent, but potty training a non verbal child is really not fun at all! I started the Monday before Christmas and just jumped in. At first I had a pull up on him but he seemed to just pee in that so I decided half way through the day to just put underwear on. Best but worst decision, because he held his bladder better but when it came night time to put the diaper on, he wanted nothing to do with it. Now, not that I intended to go back to diapers, we are absolutely going to have to train him because he will not wear a diaper! We do put a pull up on when we drive somewhere, just in case.
I started out taking him to the bathroom ever 15 minutes or so and the first day I had to change his underwear at least 7 times. We are getting better though. I still don't think he it is "clicking" on when he needs to go for himself, but he does use the bathroom pretty much every time you put him on there. The pooping is what drives me crazy because he normally goes several times a day and so I really have to watch him and try to judge when I "think" he needs to go, so sometimes I "think" he needs to go and it rules my life for the next several hours and he ends up going the minute I get distracted. Or on Christmas Eve when he pushes me out of the room, ha ha. I had the idea that it was time for him to go for an hour or so, so I had taken him a whole lot. I went downstairs at Rick and Lori's with him where he was watching his shows and sat. After a good 15 minutes of sitting there, he grabbed my hand and acted as if he was leading me somewhere. That "somewhere" was to get the heck out of the room. The minute I was out the door, he let go of my hand and slammed it shut, ha ha. I laughed and decided to take a minute and use the restroom myself. I came back down 5 minutes later and he came walking to the stairs. I could smell and soon realized why he wanted me gone, little stink(luckily he had a pull up on that time).
We are making progress but slow so we will just keep working. I am not sure how to go about it with him going to school though. I think I will send a bag of clothes, underwear and pull ups and fill the teachers in on what is going on and let them choose the route they want to take. What ever they choose, we just hope it continues and we will be done with diapers before too long!
No comments:
Post a Comment