Saturday, January 30, 2016

Daddy's Glasses and ATEC

Brandon found a new pet peeve of Dylan's today.  He was talking to him and had his glasses up on his head so Dylan reached up and put them where they should go, over his eyes.  So Brandon did it again and got the same reaction.  After several times, Dylan started to get frustrated and when that happens he tends to grab on to you and put tons of pressure on you(for example, grab your face and push his hands hard and clench his jaw).  That seems to be a common reaction when you can tell he is stressed out about something.  Brandon decided to come and show me and this time we got a few screaming reactions, kind of like saying, "stop with the glasses, it's pissing me off!"  This continued throughout the day and every time he noticed the glasses were not where they should be, he would make sure to help Dad get them there!  I said maybe he can be an optometrist and he'll be so good at making sure people wear their glasses that he may just randomly show up in places to make sure they are wearing them correctly, ha ha!

On another note, I decided to take the ATEC for fun to see where we were at.  I was surprised with my results and asked Brandon to take it to see where he ranked him.  I got him at a 62 and Brandon got him at 70, so they were quite a bit different but I had him really high in speech(lower the better) and Brandon had him higher in sociability.  I told him I think that was because I was going off some things the teachers have told me he does at school and where I am the one that has talked to them, I may not have relayed that info back to him as good as I should, so that could be a big part of it.  No matter what though these were the results prior(my results, for some reason I didn't document Brandons):
February 21, 2015 results:
Speech, Language, Communication: 24
Sociability: 24
Sensory/Cognitive Awareness: 19
Health: 19
Overall Total: 86

September 27, 2015 results:
Speech, Language, Communication: 23
Sociability: 20
Sensory/Cognitive Awareness: 21
Health: 15
Overall Total: 79

So we are looking at a 9-17 point drop in 3 months!  I couldn't believe it and was so excited.  Here are the results for today:

January 30, 2016 results:
Speech Language, Communication: 24
Sociability: 10
Sensory/Cognitive Awareness:15
Health:13
Overall Total: 62

Brandon didn't have his emailed to him so I don't have his numbers exactly, but I know, like I said above, he was quite a bit lower on speech and higher on sociability. I was shocked when he told me his speech score because I thought I was being a little lenient on some of my answers so for him to be lower in the one area that is our main concern, excited me a bit.  Sociability made quite a jump, if you go based on my score, and that is a pretty big deal in "autism world!"  He is really starting to see the world around him and that is good!  Can you imagine if he starts talking and how quickly this score could go lower and lower!

No comments:

Post a Comment