I was out cleaning out the garage and Dylan was there with me. He was playing on the bikes and kept sitting in the Power Wheel car and was very content. He pushed the wagon over to the van and next thing I knew he was climbing on top of the van. I wanted to get him down but then I thought he was being a little boy and I decided to let him enjoy it. It wasn't long before Boston joined in on the fun! I was loving the fact that I was getting something done and I was outside with Dylan and actually enjoying my time because I wasn't worried about him running off or having to follow him around. I even thought to myself at one point, "this is so nice that he is just hanging around here in the garage and entertaining himself. I love that he is not running everywhere!"
After an hour or so, he started getting a little restless and tried to get into the van. That usually means he is ready to go. I turned around for a minute or two at the most and when I turned back around he was gone. I slowly walked behind the van, figuring he had just gone back there, but he wasn't there. I looked across the street where Brielle was playing on the neighbors porch, but he wasn't there either. I walked to the side of the house and looked down the sidewalk but still no Dylan. I went to go back towards the house because I figured there was no way he made it that far in the minute or two that had passed, but then had the feeling I should really run to the end of the sidewalk and look down the corner, just in case, because that is a pretty busy road and wanted to be sure he was not in danger.
As I started running down the sidewalk, I noticed a city truck driving along the busy road quite slow. As I got to the end of the fence, the guy yelled out, "Is that your kid?" My heart dropped and then I knew where he was. I quickly asked, "Where?" He pointed to the opposite way I would have looked, so I am thankful for him. There he was just entering the lot of the Leland Mills that is right next to our Cul De Sac. I yelled at Dylan and told him "No!" As soon as he heard me and turned and saw me, he let out a little whine. I could tell by his reaction he knew he was in trouble and wasn't supposed to be doing what he was doing. By this time there was 2 other cars slowed down watching him. I wanted to yell out "He has Autism. I just looked away for 2 minutes. I'm Sorry!" But I kept my mouth shut, grabbed him and headed back home.
No comments:
Post a Comment