Thursday, September 10, 2015

Preschool 2015

Dylan has started preschool and LOVES it!  I have to get him out of the van at least 3 times every morning because he wants to go but the problem is, he rides the bus!  Once the bus is here he runs right to it with the biggest smile on his face!  I am glad he loves it so much because I love it too!  Not because he is gone and I get some time to get things done and to take a nice big breath of fresh air, but because I know he is where he needs to be!  I don't have the time, patience, motivation or dedication to sit with him and work with him constantly like I am supposed to.  Instead, I spend my time following him around, getting him out of places he shouldn't be or cleaning up messes from when he was in something he shouldn't have been in.  At school he is getting all the help that he needs to progress and so I would much rather him be there for his sake!


The preschool is an Autism based preschool through the school district and it is 5 days a week and all day(school hours)!  My old college roommates Mom is his teacher, Sherry Heelis, which I couldn't have been more excited to find out.  Last December when he started I was a nervous wreck because that is a long time for a little kid to be gone, but once Brandon and I walked into the meeting and I saw her, things were so much better.  She has a son, probably the first person I ever met that was Autistic, that is in his mid 20's so I knew she would be able to handle Dylan and that he was going to be in a great place.  There are 3 Aides, one which was there last year and I absolutely loved, and two new ones.  The awesome thing is that they typically have 8 students but shouldn't have more, so it is a small class.  However, all the kids except Dylan have gone on to Kindergarten, so he is the oldest this year and since he is the oldest I am having him go the full day rather than picking him up half way.  They are starting out with 4 kids, which is AMAZING, in my eyes at least, because that means that each child will basically have 1 person working with them all day.  In October they are getting a set of twins, so there will be 6 kids, but still will be great!

The thing I hate about not picking him up is that I don't talk to his teacher on a daily basis and so I don't get the feedback I was getting last year.  I can only hope that he is being good and keep checking daily to see if I have any notes, but none so far, which means he must be behaving himself, ha ha.  The fact that he wants to get on the bus everyday is also a good sign that he is loving it!  I can't wait to see what changes we see in him and I give these teachers all the credit in the world!  I have so much respect for them to choose this career because I know I couldn't do it.  I can't even help my own child so I need them more than they will ever know!








No comments:

Post a Comment