I went to Dylan's Parent Teacher Conference tonight and left feeling pretty good! He is doing pretty good but more like a snails pace, but good! She said that he has matured since last school year and he is adjusting well to all day Preschool! They are working on basic things such as: raise hand, clap hands, sit down, stand up, come here, matching colors and objects, etc.
When she talked about "come here" she would get this grin on her face like she was imagining what he does. She said she is certain he understands what she is asking him to do, but he slowly gets up and kind of pauses in the middle and looks at her as if "am I supposed to come now or wait for the push?" By push she is talking about being "prompted" which they have done up until now, just give him a little nudge to help teach what they are working on. They give them a reward, in Dylan's case FOOD, when they complete a task. So she said it is as if he is saying, " I know I need to come to you to get that treat but am waiting for my cue!" He is getting it though!
I was pleasantly surprised that most the things she was showing me had "mastered" written by it! All though they are super simple things, to us that is, they are BIG things for him. This is things like eye contact, he has that mastered for 1 second so now they are moving on to 2 seconds. Raise hand, with visual from teacher, so now rhey are trying without the teacher doing and just saying. He has been matching objects and colors but by matching the teacher places one object on the table and gives him the exact same object and tells him "match same." He has that down so they are moving on to placing two different objects on the table and then give him one that matches one of the objects and having him place it by the correct one.
So as you can see these and a few other things like this, are all simple but he is doing them and learning! Slow and steady wins the race, right? I can tell they enjoy him and love their job and I expressed my appreciation to them as well! We can not do this without them and Iam very Thankful for them!
On another note: Dyaln has been saying Mamamamama a lot lately and so I justtell him "yes I'm Mom. Thanks for saying Mom!" If that is actually what he is saying I am not sure, but I sure do love it! His teacher was saying they are hearing him say different words(but couldn't think off the bat which words. She said he says "seesee" for treat and she thinks he said "my turn" the other day), so I told her about the "Mom" thing. Last year I gave them pictures of each of our family so they could work on identifying us all, so I figured they have been working on that. She told me they haven't been working on it and she isn't sure if they have the pictures anymore, but wants me to get some more. That ade me feel even better that he may be calling me by name and it is all on his own!
No comments:
Post a Comment