Today was Dylan's last day of Preschool for the school year, but luckily(unluckily) he has met the requirements to go to summer school which begins the middle of June! I am not going to lie, I am freaking out a bit at the thought of having him home all day because lately it only takes him minutes to have the house just the way he wants it..... Just as if a tornado has ripped through and has left nothing untouched! I told Brandon that is partly the reason I spend so much money, because I need out of the house so that he can't destroy it, but you can't get out of the house with out spending money. Decisions, decisions: Stay home and have a completely torn up house or go spend money eating at McDonalds(yes that is usually what happens). Leaving the house is usually the better option! Hopefully, once we move into our new house, with a yard, I can divert his energy outside and we can just play and play and play!!!
Dylan's teacher, Sherry, put together a field trip to Thanksgiving Point Farm Country and was so nice to allow Boston to come with us. Boston and I drove and met them at Thanksgiving Point since Boston isn't a student and so it is against school policies to let him ride the bus. Poor Boston really wants to ride a bus, but we were able to get on the bus to put Dylan in his seat so he got to see the inside of it! We walked around and looked at the animals, rode a pony(Which afterwards the teacher aides commented that I need to buy him a pony because he wanted to get back on. I told them the funny thing was that Dylan's Grandpa Rick had in fact bought the exact same type of pony for the grandkids but got rid of it because the excitement didn't last too long, but it was fun while it lasted!), went on a wagon ride and then played in the garden shop play area thing. I couldn't help but notice that all the parents had the same death grip on their children's hands and all the kids had their moments of falling to the floor when they didn't want to do something. It helped me to see we are not the only ones going through this and that Dylan is completely "normal" in Autism World!
Afterwards, Boston and I drove back to the school to get Dylan because they had a few end of year papers that they wanted Dylan to take home. We pulled up as the bus did and they were just unloading. Dylan was crying and confused as to why he was going back to school for a second time today, poor kid just wanted to go home! We went in to his class and I kept telling him that we just needed to get his papers and tell his teachers "bye." He kept giving me kisses, and that was him saying, "come on, it's time to go." One of the aides(Loni) came over and started talking to Dylan and after a minute he leaned in and gave her a kiss! I just laughed and told them I had wondered if he gave them kisses because I always ask him to give me a kiss when he wants something. She told me that was actually a first and made her feel really good! That also makes me feel good because lately he has been giving more and more relatives(siblings, grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, etc.) kisses and maybe he really is understanding the relations rather than somebody that he just meets!
I love Dylan's Teacher and Teacher Aides! You can see the love they have for these kids and they genuinely care about them. I know Dylan is in good hands and is where he is supposed to be! It sounds like he is the only one returning next year because the rest of them, except one that is moving away and will go to a different pre-school, will be going on to Kindergarten. They will start out with about 5 kids next year and then gradually get more. So Dylan will have seniority ha ha! They sent home a little picture book and one of the pictures was captioned: "Mr Handsome" I LOVE IT because that is a nickname he has always had since he was little, thanks to his sister, and for some reason has carried on to school! I think I may have called him that one time when I picked him up, so I don't know if they heard me and started calling him that or if they have just given him, and all the other boys, that nickname, but for me and the background, it made me happy!!
Here are some pages of a little scrap book they made for Dylan:




No comments:
Post a Comment