We have had many more tantrums and a little bit of aggression, but no big "aha" moments. When I picked Dylan up from school yesterday, one of the aides was holding Dylan so he wouldn't escape, as the Teacher was doing the lesson at "Circle Time." Mrs Heelis asked me if he had been aggressive at home because they had seen it this week, particularly that day. I pointed to Desi and said, "she is the target." He usually pushes her around or swats at her, but mainly because she thinks they are "bff's" and doesn't keep her distance and he wants that space.(I know one day, Desi will get that wish and they will be "bff's") We went on our way, because they were in the middle of teaching and didn't want to interrupt and ask more questions.
I went and picked him up today and it was a little different and more encouraging, not because they told me any amazing news, but because I could see and tell the love the teacher and the aides have for my son! Just before Bos and I got to the class, I saw Dylan, (through the little window) wandering around and didn't know what I was walking into. It looked like they were just finishing up lunch, so I think it was kind of a "free time" for those that were done eating. Boston looked through the window for a minute and we walked in, just in time to witness his teacher running after him as he escaped out the back door which leads to a fenced in area and the playground. They lead him over to me and I said, "have you had a busy day Dylan!" Then Mrs Heelis laughed and said, "Let me tell you about his busy day!" She continued to tell me how (and mentioned that I had warned her about this at the beginning) he decided it was lunch time at one point in the day and made his way to the fridge. He got out several of the lunch bags and carried them to the table, almost as if he was saying it was time for lunch. They got them put back in the fridge and then he made his way over to where they keep snacks and climbed up to help himself. They gave in at this point and gave him something to hold him over until lunch time. Then there was the "escaping out the door" which we got there to witness, ha ha. She again told me that that was something I warned her about. I don't think he was necessarily trying to escape, just wanted to play, ha ha.
Then one of the aides chimed in and said, "Oh no, let me tell you this one" and was laughing again. During lunch time, someone had a slice of pizza(I am not sure if it was one of the teachers or a student) but Dylan was eyeing that pizza down the whole time the person was eating it. Then as soon as the last bite went into the persons mouth Dylan jumped right up and, from what I understood, more or less tried getting that last bite for himself. I am not sure if he was reaching and trying to pry their mouth open or swatting at them or what for sure, but it was apparent he wanted that pizza. She said it was so funny and he was so smart because he KNEW that was the last bite! I told Dylan we'll send him pizza for lunch sometime. The aide said, "can you say p-p-p-pizza?" Dylan looked at me, in the eye mind you, and you could tell he was thinking about saying it, but nothing came out.
It is days like this that I love! Even though these are not really "good news" stories, but they are funny and although Dyl keeps them busy, I can tell they really enjoy him! I asked Mrs Heelis if he had been aggressive today and she said not as bad today, but it had been an all week thing. She said yesterday was the worse, but it wasn't really bad considering what some kids can be like. She said that at one point yesterday, Dylan just hauled off and shoved one of the kids knocking him over. She did mention that that particular kid has a reputation of "pushing buttons" so she wasn't sure if he had done something to Dylan at some point in the day or if Dylan just shoved him just because. From what she saw, it was the latter, but she also said she wouldn't be surprised if the kid just got to Dylan and he finally had enough. She said it was as if Dylan was saying, "I am not going to be pushed around." So she said it is good he is standing up for himself(if that was the case) but of course they are not encouraging that type of behavior. From what I have seen on the Facebook Group page, some parents have seen aggressive behaviors in their kids for about 6 weeks and then it mellows out. So we are 4 weeks out, so we'll see how it goes for the next 2 weeks and maybe things will settle down a bit!
No comments:
Post a Comment