Monday, July 13, 2015

Swimming

I am hoping we are starting to go on the upward slope of the "roller coaster ride" we are on.  Other parents that have gone through this have referred to it as that and said you see gains and then you have your set backs and then all of a sudden they take off again.  We have not seen the huge gains some people are reporting back, yet, but over the past couple days I feel he is trying a little harder.  He has been a little more involved and it seems that he is making more sounds at an attempt of communicating and the eye contact has been pretty good these past couple days.

Ask me if I felt things were looking up a few days ago, I would have answered with a big "HELL NO" ha ha!  We were in Nephi for the stampede and at Brandon's Grandma Ann's house for a little family get together with relatives from California.  The whole time there was spent chasing Dylan around as he went in the side door and out the front door.  Brandon even counted him down at 1 point and he walked out the door right on cue.  Brandon thinks I waste my energy by following his every move, but I know the one time he is not followed will be the one time he takes off or gets in to something, so I prefer to play it safe.  We headed down to the carnival to go on a few rides, but that didn't last long for him.  Rick and Lori tried taking him on the Merry Go Round and he wanted nothing to do with it, so him and Grandpa headed back to Grandma Ann's.  When we got done at the carnival we found out that Rick had walked all the way to their house with him, like I said before, he is amazing!  The next day they had another get together, which Brandon really wanted to go to, but I was not about to take Dylan down again.  I was not in the mood to follow him around and not about to pawn that responsibility off on to someone else.

Today Brandon came home from work and while I was making dinner we were talking about the older two going to swimming lessons later that evening.  I really don't remember either one of us actually saying the word "swimming" because we knew what we were talking about.  Brandon mentioned that after work one of these days he would take Dylan because he hasn't got to go very much this Summer.  About 10 minutes later, I look up and Dylan is walking around with his swim suit.  I laughed and tried to convince Brandon to hurry and take him to the Payson pool because it was 5 and it closed at 7.  He said he would take him tomorrow.  When it came time for Brielle and Bos to go, they got their swimming suits on and that is when I saw Dylan walking down the hall, losing clothes as he went.  I knew he was on his way to get his swim suit on.  Sure enough he walked out with nothing but his shoes on(tie shoes he can't get off) and swimming suit in hand.  I couldn't deny the little guy the chance to swim, so I got our little pool and let him go for a swim.  This is something he used to do and has not done that in a long time!  He is expressing his wants, not through words but actions, so to me that is on the uphill climb and I am hoping it continues on!


He did have his swim suit on for about 1 minute.  Every time he would stand up or get out of the pool I would say, "You have to get your suit on if you are getting out"  He would immediately jump right back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment