Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Back Post # 6

This was originally posted on my family blog on 12/11/14, but I want to eventually print this out and pass it on to Dylan so I figured these posts would be great to include here as well.

Grandpa Rick and the World Team Roping Competition



Rick took up team roping a few years ago after having a long break, he did it back in high school and a little after I think, but has been doing amazing from the start.  He has done quite a few competitions and always does a great job.  I tell Brandon to find out when he is roping so we can watch if he is up this way, because I think it would be fun and the kids would love it!  Well he qualified to go to the World Team Roping Competition in Vegas this year!  I got a call from Lori and she said that he made it to the final round and it would be streaming online, so I found the website and got it set up so we could watch it!  As they started coming out and across the arena I was trying to find him and when it was his turn I yelled to Boston.  Boston had already noticed him and was waving away!  I thought that was cute to see how excited he was!

Rick was in the middle of the pack and would be going around 20ish out of the 40 remaining teams, so we just kept watching!  I couldn't believe how quick they run them through.  I am sure if you have any sort of jitters, you aren't going to do well, so the mental preparation is just as much as the physical act of roping the cow.  I can't imagine waiting and then before you know it you have gone, crazy fast.  There he was, Bos was so excited!  He went, he caught and then his partner caught, they were in 1st place!  Woohoo, amazing!  So much fun, when you know the person!  He held his 1st place spot for about 5 or 6 people I believe, but then got kicked down.  He ended up taking 10th place, which is amazing considering to begin with I think Lori said their was something like 400 or so teams!  10th place that is amazing!

I figured Rick wouldn't have his phone on him, but I thought it would be a fun surprise for him to have a message so I told Bos that we would call and leave Grandpa a message.  I was surprised when Rick answered and let Bos talk to him.  He told him we watched him on the TV and that we knew he took 10th place!  Rick told him he won some money and Bos said, "Yeah I saw you took 10th place!"(in his excited Bosty voice)  Brandon later found out that Rick called Lori right after and it really meant a lot to Rick to hear from Boston.  I am glad it worked out that way!  Rick walked away with around $23000 from this little gig and do you know what he chose to do with most of the money!  Well he bought him some nice boots and a nice jacket!  But do you know where the majority of his hard earned, well deserved money went, to my little boy!  He told Brandon he had made a deal and was roping for Dylan!  If he won some money, it was going to him to see what we can do to help him!  $15000, he gave to his 3 year old grandson!

Rick and Lori have been nothing but our lifesavers on many occasions and in many ways with Dylan.  The most important way is through Love!  They have taken Dylan one on one and spent some quality time with him.  No it is not easy at times, but they do it because I know they have nothing but love for the kid!  I have had to learn to step back and allow them to take him a lot, not that I don't like them spending time with him, but I just hate having my kids gone.  I am a stingy Mom and like my kids with me but I like to complain that I have no time to myself too, funny how that works.  I have come to accept that I can not do this without their help and it is ok to let my kids out of my sight sometimes!  I also need a break to reboot and be prepared for what the next day may be like too.  Lori can't come to our house because Dylan sees her and is pulling her out the door!  He doesn't even let her in the house pretty much ha ha.  When Rick has came and picked him up for a sleep over, Dylan smiles from ear to ear and couldn't be any more excited!  What better place then to be with Grandparents any way, right?

I was talking to Lori one day and was telling her how I was sitting by Rick's phone when it rang one day and looked over to see my little boy as his wallpaper cover on his phone.  I know they love every single one of their grandchildren and would do anything for anyone of them, but seeing that picture and Dylan being the one he chose to put on there, I knew that he is the one that is on his mind!  That meant so much to me to see that and brought me to tears that day.  Lori said that Rick is constantly talking about Dylan and wondering what he is doing that day and I know Lori is the same way!  My children are spoiled rotten with these Grandparents!

I am not one that is able to express myself, but really how do you tell someone, your child's Grandfather, your Father-in-law, how much this means to you?  Not only the money, because yes the money is a big deal and has great potential to help us find some help for Dylan that we wouldn't be able to do on our own, but the amount of love, time, thoughts, prayers, everything that they have done for your child!  I know it is his grandson and so of course he means a lot to him, but I know Dylan has a big piece of both their hearts!  It is heart braking what my little boy is going through, but with all this love and support that we have from them and Brandon's whole family and my family I know things will be ok!

To Rick and Lori, I know I do not express my appreciation very well, your son will tell you I am much better at pointing out what isn't done than what is done, but I have nothing but love for the two of you!  I have married into a wonderful family and am proud to be a part of it!  I will never be able to repay you for anything you have done for my family, but I know my children are very blessed to call you there Grandparents and me to call you family!  I appreciate everything you have done and I know without you guys we would not be able to make it through this! Thank you for being there and being such a big part of Dylan's life, without you I have no idea where he would be or where I would be, because without you taking Dylan I would probably have lost it by now(not saying I don't have my moments)!  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  I love you two and hope you know that!

No comments:

Post a Comment