Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Back Post # 7

This was originally posted on my family blog on 12/14/14, but I want to eventually print this out and pass it on to Dylan so I figured these posts would be great to include here as well.

Dylan is 3!!!

My handsome little big guy is 3, holy cow!  This has not been the easiest 8 months of his life but he is such a great kid and we can only hope things get better for my little Bubber!








8 1/2 months ago, I didn't expect him to be somewhere along the Autism Spectrum but that quickly changed in April and now this is where we are at.  He has pretty much lost all his vocabulary but will occasionally say a word here or there.  I know it is in there, we just need to figure out how to get it out and keep it coming!  For the most part he understands what you are telling him, I just think it is a matter of him wanting to do it.  We have quite a few different approaches that we are going to try and help him because I am convinced I will find something and I will get my little boy back!  I love this little guy and I am not about to just accept that something flipped a switch and this is how he will be the rest of his life.  If it is I will still love him just as much and we will learn to understand and help each other through time, but I just don't understand how he can go from one extreme to the other so quickly with nothing traumatic causing it.  I say this is the cruelest condition out there, because you see his cute little personality and fall head over heals in love with it and then bam!  Don't get me wrong, I love him still, but wow talk about a punch to the face.  I remember specifically thinking several times with him, "I don't have to worry about autism with him."  WHY would I worry about Autism?  I guess because Jake's son Deegan is on the spectrum and so I knew it could be a possibility in my kids, but not Dyl.  This being said, I have seen improvements in him in the past 8 months and so I am still hopeful that we have got him help early enough that we will pull through.  They say Early is key and that is what we are working on!

He has also been accepted to a preschool in the district that will be 5 days a week 5 hours a day and is Autism based.  He starts that the first part of January!  My old college roommates(Heidi) Mom(Sherry), will be his teacher!  When we went to the meeting and I saw her, that was such a big relief to know that I knew who would have him and be with him for that long.  She too has a son with Autism that is 26 and he is probably the first person I had ever met that was Autistic.  Brandon said that is probably why I met Heidi, everything definitely feels as if it is falling in place now.  I know she will be a great teacher and he will be in good hands!

I wish I had more to say about Dylan but right now this consumes us and there isn't much more to be said.  Other than he is my son, I love him more than he will ever know and I would gladly take this from him if I could!  I am not saying I need him to be completely cured or anything because I know we all have to have our trials and we need to learn from them, but like I said this is cruel.  I am sure he is just as confused as us and wants to express himself to us like he used to, but can't do it anymore and is frustrated, but he handles it pretty well!  He is my hero!  Carl gave him a blessing a couple months ago and in it he said that Dylan would learn to communicate with his parents, that is all I really need.  I need for him to be able to speak with me and communicate.  I am fine if there is "different" things about him and he is not "normal" but I need to hear that cute little voice again!  The blessing also mentioned that he would give others hope, I am also holding on to hope.  HOPE that we will find something to help him and the hope others in the same situation can turn to.  I am not giving up hope and will continue to fight this fight for my little guy, as helpless as I feel, just keep fighting!

I love you Dylan and look forward to the rest of your life and watching you grow!  You are a tough little guy and I know you are going to be just fine, no matter what!  Like I tell you all the time, if you don't know anything I just need you to know how much I love you and that is all you need to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment