Brain Balance
JoDee saw a commercial in October about a place called Brain Balance that had opened up in Pleasant Grove. She said what she read about on it sounded like Dylan so we should check it out. I looked up the website and emailed them. The lady called me back and is so passionate about it. She has two sons on the spectrum and had tried everything ABA, hyperbaric, extreme stuff and she found this back East and said this is what has worked. We went up for a meeting and they evaluated him. Where he is younger than most of their clients they weren't able to do some of the stuff, but they said he is Left Brain dominant so he has a Right Brain delay.
They focus on primitive reflexes and there are 8 that should drop off mostly within the first few months to year of life, but in these kids for some reason they haven't. All his are still very much there:
They have a home program which we are doing now where you do these exercises to build up the right brain and are to avoid left brain activities. The exercises are things like having him follow things with his eyes but not moving his head, moving his body a certain way so it is making both hemispheres work together and then they also say you need good core muscles so we are doing situps and pushups too. They also gave us a bag full of containers that have certain smells that stimulate the right brain and a cd with right brain music to listen to. We are supposed to do these 3 times a day, but typically get at least 2 in because it requires Brandon and I to be home and do it together since he is young and doesn't know how to do it on his own.
The hard part of this is along with the program comes nutrition! They say that you need to be Gluten, Soy, Dairy and Peanut free. Since that is such a big change, it is something we as a family are going to have to all adjust to. I have stressed and yelled and screamed at Brandon so many times on this one, because we have picky children(mainly Brielle) and I have no idea what to feed them. They have given us several recipes and I have found several but I feel like I am feeding the garbage can more than my family and it is expensive. I don't know how long this is going to go on because I am not doing good with it. The chiropractor we are taking Dylan to said his body is not having a hard time with the food, so we shouldn't have to really worry about going to crazy about it. I sure hope he is right, because I am about to give up on this part of it. But I just don't know what to do! I want to focus on getting the kids to at least eat more veggies and fruit at least because I know we eat like shit and really do need to change our ways, but it is super hard!
It is now the end of December and we have seen some changes in him so I feel that it is working, but December is a busy month and Brandon has been working longer hours so we have slacked super bad with both exercises and eating, but hopefully will get back on board in January. Once we have him to a point that he would be able to go to the center and sit for periods of time and follow their lead, they have a different program to help him. That also costs another $4500 on top of the $1500 that we have already paid. It gets so expensive but if it works, then I will do it! We are also lucky, and extremely grateful/appreciative/will never be able to express how much it means to us, because Brandon's grandparents have been giving us money to try these things on Dylan. Words can not express what that means to us! Dylan is one LOVED little boy and has a whole army behind him!
They focus on primitive reflexes and there are 8 that should drop off mostly within the first few months to year of life, but in these kids for some reason they haven't. All his are still very much there:
They have a home program which we are doing now where you do these exercises to build up the right brain and are to avoid left brain activities. The exercises are things like having him follow things with his eyes but not moving his head, moving his body a certain way so it is making both hemispheres work together and then they also say you need good core muscles so we are doing situps and pushups too. They also gave us a bag full of containers that have certain smells that stimulate the right brain and a cd with right brain music to listen to. We are supposed to do these 3 times a day, but typically get at least 2 in because it requires Brandon and I to be home and do it together since he is young and doesn't know how to do it on his own.
The hard part of this is along with the program comes nutrition! They say that you need to be Gluten, Soy, Dairy and Peanut free. Since that is such a big change, it is something we as a family are going to have to all adjust to. I have stressed and yelled and screamed at Brandon so many times on this one, because we have picky children(mainly Brielle) and I have no idea what to feed them. They have given us several recipes and I have found several but I feel like I am feeding the garbage can more than my family and it is expensive. I don't know how long this is going to go on because I am not doing good with it. The chiropractor we are taking Dylan to said his body is not having a hard time with the food, so we shouldn't have to really worry about going to crazy about it. I sure hope he is right, because I am about to give up on this part of it. But I just don't know what to do! I want to focus on getting the kids to at least eat more veggies and fruit at least because I know we eat like shit and really do need to change our ways, but it is super hard!
It is now the end of December and we have seen some changes in him so I feel that it is working, but December is a busy month and Brandon has been working longer hours so we have slacked super bad with both exercises and eating, but hopefully will get back on board in January. Once we have him to a point that he would be able to go to the center and sit for periods of time and follow their lead, they have a different program to help him. That also costs another $4500 on top of the $1500 that we have already paid. It gets so expensive but if it works, then I will do it! We are also lucky, and extremely grateful/appreciative/will never be able to express how much it means to us, because Brandon's grandparents have been giving us money to try these things on Dylan. Words can not express what that means to us! Dylan is one LOVED little boy and has a whole army behind him!




No comments:
Post a Comment